The thoughts of a woman trying to live simply yet abundantly, contentedly yet expectantly, wisely yet adventurously... all for His glory.

4.09.2012

it's that time again!

Time to think about anti-malarial medications, time to brush the dust off my passport, and time to buy traveler's insurance.

Yes, I'm still in school. In case you forgot-- after all I haven't blogged in forever-- I'm working on a master's degree in nursing. After I graduate in December and pass my certification exam, I'll be a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP for short). If you're nice, I might even write you prescriptions.

In between semesters I have several weeks off so I looked at several different volunteer medical opportunities. I ended up being accepted to volunteer with Samaritan's Purse in Haiti for two weeks in May. I'll be working, most likely as a triage nurse, at a new medical clinic in Cite Soleil. A dear friend has been to this particular clinic with Samaritan's Purse and she gave me a glowing first-hand account.

I'm beyond thrilled for several reasons. First, I'm going a little stir-crazy here at home and I can't wait to go somewhere that my nursing skills are really and truly needed. Secondly, I think this trip will give me a better feel for how my FNP degree might be useful in a developing country clinic setting. By the time I get to Haiti I'll also technically have completed half an FNP degree and I'll be (hopefully) able to use some of my physical assessment and diagnostic skills. But most of all, I'm excited because it's a reminder that God continues to work in my life even though I'm not always aware of it.

As always, I would love to have you partner with me in prayer. At the moment, my biggest prayer request is for faithfulness in completing this semester! I love school but it's very challenging and by this point in the semester I'm ready to just be done. Regarding my trip to Haiti, the basics need prayer as always: safe travel, good health, and safety while in-country. I could also use wisdom as I collaborate with Haitian translators to see patients who may have illnesses uncommon here in the US. For example, the rainy season in Haiti starts soon which could mean increased cases of cholera.

Most of all, I want to "let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God," echoing a prayer written by Bob Pierce, the man who founded *both* Samaritan's Purse and World Vision.

In the meanwhile, I can't wait to get my feet on the ground in Haiti!


Photo taken the last time I volunteered as a nurse while in Niger, West Africa. It seems like a lifetime ago!

No comments: