The thoughts of a woman trying to live simply yet abundantly, contentedly yet expectantly, wisely yet adventurously... all for His glory.

1.05.2010

rootedness




Shortly after I was born, some family friends gave my parents a McIntosh apple tree. Their instructions were to plant the “Lindsay Macintosh” and watch as both tree and daughter grew.

I don’t know why I thought of the apple tree recently except that I've been thinking about the concept of rootedness. I think of rootedness as a deep sense of knowing who you are and where you belong.

I thought that living on a floating hospital ship would give me feelings of being uprooted and ungrounded (maybe unmoored would be a better word, since it's nautical and all). When asked where I am from--a frequent occurrence on the ship--what should I say? Am I from Minnesota, even though it never felt like home? Am I from Houston, even though I only ever lived there for several months over a summer’s break from college? Am I from Seattle, which was the last place I felt truly at home? I was born and raised in Idaho, but have no emotional connections there any more.

Where is home? I don't know.

But I do know that I am rooted and established in love...God's love. (Ephesians 3:17) In His love I know who I am and where I belong, regardless of where I put down physical roots. And that is enough.

As the Lindsay McIntosh tree grew, it eventually bloomed and bore fruit. I am thankful that in this season of life I too am in the stage of blooming and bearing fruit. God has been moving in my life, working in my heart when I thought all was barren, bringing me to a place of fruitfulness.  God has shown me that he has a much larger plan for me than I could ever have dreamed for myself.

As I anticipate going back to the Africa Mercy to work in Togo and possibly South Africa, I am thankful for a God who chose me, called me by name, and scripted a unique role for me in his grand narrative of redemption.

7 comments:

Michaela Dawn:Windy Woman said...

Well, it seem you know where just to put your roots to grow, and also you know where and when to spread your wings to fly!

Loving this thoughtful and deeply enriching world!
Thank you for sharing you!

M

tea said...

Lindsay,
It's great to read that you know these things about yourself in God. And that you can see the fruit he is bringing forth from your life. That is awesome. I'm not there, but it's so good to read this. Thanks for sharing!!

lindsay said...

thank you both for your lovely comments--it's such an encouragement to me to hear your thoughts.

kirsten michelle said...

What a beautiful reflection on rootedness!! I've been thinking about this a lot lately too as I consider all the changes that have occurred in the past year of my life. Like you, I wonder: where is/what is home?

Even with all the change swirling around us, it is good to know that God's love remains a constant, a sure foundation, a bulwark on which we can stand with certainty.

Thanks for stopping by to say hello. It's been very nice to "meet" you. :o)

deb said...

I moved a lot growing up.
But married with children, I am rooted in the community, the memories of this home.
But it still feels like the stuff component.
I am truly home when I am at peace with myself and knowing I am loved and love with all of me.

Beautiful post as always.

Abigail Jasmine said...

Hello!
I just love your blog!..Your thoughts and your heart :)
This post is really beautiful and glorifying to our Beautiful Lord! Encouraging as well to other sisters. So grateful to God that you are content in knowing you are His and nothing else :)

& you are so right on- You ARE rooted in His love <3 Those are your roots :) And Heaven is your real home :)

~Love to you!

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for the reminder that when in Christ, we all bear fruit! I will be lifting you up in prayer and am sending you to Africa with the knowing that you are on my prayer list. Love and Blessings and safe journey to you!