The thoughts of a woman trying to live simply yet abundantly, contentedly yet expectantly, wisely yet adventurously... all for His glory.

11.18.2009

light in the darkness


Notre Dame, Paris


Lord, you have brought light to my life;
my God, you light up my darkness.
Psalm 18:28 NLT


Entering the hushed stillness of a cathedral always instills in me a sense of wonder. My breathing slows, my mind stills, my eyes widen, my heart responds.

In the darkness hundreds of candles flicker and dance. I've been known to gently drop my coins in the box and light a candle as a way of entering into the holiness of the place.

Something about light captures me, perhaps because I have walked in darkness. But Jesus says:

"the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned."
Matthew 4:16, quoting from Isaiah 9:2

So I choose to celebrate the light, especially at this time of year when daylight lessens and nights lengthen.

Light reminds me that though the darkness is black indeed, the Light of the World has already overcome.


Linked to Tuesdays Unwrapped at Chatting at the Sky.

3 comments:

Tea said...

So true & so beautiful

Kelly Langner Sauer said...

"Something about light captures me, perhaps because I have walked in darkness..."

I have been pondering light of late, scrabbling around in Ephesians, trying to make sense out of faith that is a gift, and good works I am called to do by God's strength.

Thank you for your visit to my blog today. I appreciate your comment very much. It's kinda lonely here, except for the squeals from the toddler in the other room. ;-)

Michelle said...

Wow! Beautiful post....very beautiful. (Had a nicer comment last night, but for some reason blogspot was having issues...but I'm truly blessed with this post)

Blessings,

Michelle