The thoughts of a woman trying to live simply yet abundantly, contentedly yet expectantly, wisely yet adventurously... all for His glory.

4.21.2009

abandonment

Along with rereading some Henri Nouwen to help prepare me for Mercy Ships(see my last post), I've also been rereading The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. I could write volumes about the wisdom I've found within the pages, but this particular passage resonated with me today:

Abba, I abandon myself into your hands. Do with me what you will. Whatever you may do, I thank you. I am ready for all: I accept all. Let your will be done in me and in all your creatures. I wish no more than this, O Lord. Into your hands I commend my spirit. I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you, Lord, and I give myself, surrender myself into your hands without reserve, with boundless confidence, for you are my Father. (118)


This is my guiding hope and prayer for not only this summer, but for the whole of my life. I know that "all the love of my heart" is not yet what it ought to be, but such as it is, it is Yours, and I trust that You will continue to teach me. I do not yet know "boundless confidence," but I do have faith small as a mustard seed. I do not fully know what it means to "surrender myself into your hands without reserve," but I do desire to know.

What I do know is this: that you are my Father. I will choose to rest in that. You are my Abba. I will choose to trust in your love, and let that be enough.

1 comment:

Busy42 said...

Linds, this is so great. I honestly believe that God loves our desire to please/serve Him more than our ability to actually do it! I think once we get to the "want to," He takes over the "how to."